Thursday, April 3, 2014

Kindness Is Beautiful

This is a short post and one that I am very excited about. I didn't expect to feel so enlightened after watching a Disney movie, but I ended up learning something special. 

This past weekend I decided to watch Beauty and the Beast after realizing that I had never seen it before (I know, it's craycray). I, like most people, felt the sincerity of the characters and the warmth of the happy-ending storyline. The stories are, of course, designed to elicit such feelings of happiness and enthusiasm, and the characters are presented as all of the things that a girl could want to be. Disney characters, especially princesses, are supposed to exemplify kind, caring, thoughtful role models for young viewers. 

Although many Disney movies are based on situations that will most probably never happen in real life, they do incorporate an important truth into their entirety. I extracted a lesson from the movie and inherited a different kind of understanding towards demeanor. 

I was struck by Belle's kindness: her kindness (more like selflessness) when taking her father's position in the castle, her kindness and patience towards the beast when he got hurt (even though he saved her) and needed to learn how to read and be nice, and her kindness when seeing through the beast's exterior.  

If you think about it, not only was she beautiful because of her perfectly designed figure and facial features, but also because of her "pretty" demeanor and beautiful elegance. The way that I think about it, she would not have seemed as beautiful to me if she wasn't so good-hearted and high-spirited. 

I realized that her sincere kindness is a major contributing factor to her beauty. Other traits of hers that I fell in love with were:
- Her desire for a better life and decision to attain a happy future 
- Her ability to see through people's exterior's
- Never falls for less than what she deserves 
- Her modesty

So let's all learn a lesson and true fact of life from Belle and the other princesses who exhibit kindness: kindness is beautiful. 

No comments: