Sunday, December 30, 2018

In a Nutshell (A Tribute to Amos Oz)

The trains are still running 
The skies are still raining 
The people are still talking 
Nothing has changed 

The times are still set 
The classes are beginning 
They all are still cheering 
Everything is the same

The writers are writing 
The singers are singing 
The ground is still as is the cold winter air 

That same officer is standing at that same corner 
When I first asked him where a certain building was 
3 years ago

The same man is working at the station 
Handing out pamphlets at 6am
I used to run by him on my way to school 
For 2 years

Adults are rushing to work
And children to school
Worrying about something we all have before

My worries are no longer mine 
They belong to the next one in line 

For I have inherited another's 

The process goes on and on 
But for not that long 
We realize one day 
When we are old and grey 

But then it may be too late
To understand this fate 
You have slept far too long 
Perhaps you have done it all wrong

“In a nutshell, the choice is between going through this life awake or in a kind of stupor.”
Amos Oz, A Tale of Love and Darkness

I read Oz's book, referenced above, about a year ago. It was extremely nostalgic and the emotions he expressed were those I wish I could write down on paper and formulate into coherent words myself. His words are those that people need to hear. 

What I took away from his story was that whether or not you decide to move or to stay, everything is going to remain- for the most part- the same. 

A tribute to Amos oz- Israeli writer, novelist, journalist, and intellectual. December 28, 2018.