Sunday, April 8, 2018

Stick to Your Principles

If there is anything that I have learned through much trial and error, then it would have to be this.

With so many things in life, sometimes it is hard to say no, remind ourselves why we should or shouldn't do something, or simply just do the right thing. Whether it is turning something down, getting ourselves to do something we know we should, or just going about doing everyday things... most of the time we know what we should do and the consequences of not doing that said thing.

I am finally coming to learn and live by the idea of sticking to my principles.

What does it mean to stick to one's principles?

When I think about sticking to my principles, I think of:
  • Knowing right from wrong (my personal rights and wrongs)- may not be the same for everyone and it doesn't need to be. 
  • Being consistent- not wavering between something being okay and not being okay. I make something acceptable or unacceptable and keep those things under those categories. 
  • Being disciplined!!!!- This is a big one and something I am learning to do every single day. We all are if we are conscious of it. I just started reading Brian Tracy's No Excuses! and am already almost halfway through. I am mesmerized by this book. It has opened my eyes to so many truths, that I have already started applying its ideas. 
  • Being able to turn down an offer- even when people are trying to do something nice, it may not be necessarily what is good for you. It is not necessary to please everyone. You have to do what is right for you. 
  • Not falling into peer pressure- other people can do what they want and that does not mean it's what you need to want or should want. It's okay to want and seek something different. 
I've learned that sticking to my principles is what will allow me to reach my goals and desires.
I have also realized that I feel better about myself and more confident overall when I remain true to myself and my values. This means that if something is not worth my time or energy, and does not make me feel good... then I will not invest myself in it.

We all have a gut feeling when thinking about decisions. Although some decisions are harder than others, most of the time we know what the decision should be. Listening to our gut feelings and trusting ourselves is one of the smartest things that we can do.

These are all concepts I am learning from this book, videos, and podcasts that I am spending my time reading and listening to. I feel as though this is a whole other way of understanding myself and the world around me. Everything becomes so much easier and clearer when we stick to our truths.

This is a major idea that I have learned and have begun applying to my life, and I will write about other concepts I admire as I continue to learn about them.