Thursday, September 27, 2018

Longest Day Ever (Joys of Israel Series)

Today was a crazy day. 

Started at 6am. Woke up early to get to the Kotel so that I can see Birchat Kohanim- the priestly blessing. Thousands of people. Rooftop overseeing it all (thanks to my early start I got one of the best views). People on the edges of buildings just to get a better view of the scene. You can hear a pin drop the moment they started reciting the verses. 
In the Old City 
Then I headed over to the Moshav Music Festival. We had no idea how to get there, but somehow did. People of all ages passionately dancing to music which the grandmother in the crowd could relate to… as well as the yeshiva students and little kids. Seriously, though… there were people of all ages dancing together. I’m pretty sure this is the only music festival of this kind. Striking a conversation with a woman next to me in line for falafel, and her then inviting me to her house for shabbat. Only in Israel. 

I’m exhausted at this point. My feet have walked about 6 miles so far (ends up being 8 by the time I get home), and I have been in the sun since I left my dorm at 7am. For some unknown reason I still decide to adventure into one more Chol Hamoed activity. I head over to the rabbi’s sukkah and end up staying for 4 hours. I’m basically sleep walking at this point. Then I have to run around Ben Yehuda for an hour trying to find the correct bus that will take me home (still have yet to master the transportation here), and finally call it quits at 2:30am. 
I’ve never felt the desire to take so many live videos. Today was a special day- one filled with lots of energy and celebration with so many people who I don’t even know. 

Today was a perfect day. 

No comments: