Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Before the Beginning

I have had many beginnings in the past several years. 
As we all have had- in our own ways.
This one, I think, is the best one yet.

Over the next several months, I will be traveling to Israel and delving into the wisdom of ancient texts. I will be immersed in a culture and environment of self-development and growth. I will be improving on two of the three languages which I speak/write/read (Russian and Hebrew). I will be working for an organization whose mission statement itself is a personal passion of mine. I will be scouring the open market, getting shoved by elderly women on public transportation (has happened before and I am only waiting for it to happen again), admitting sheepishly that I don't speak the local language well enough to actually have a conversation. When I ask for directions in Hebrew, that's all I know!!! I can't actually understand the directions you give me in Hebrew. 


There is always that time period before the actual "adventure" begins. I just finished my internship, prepping my phone service and luggage, getting in all those doctor appointments, trying to figure out if I have any issues I should face now while in the country where I can actually formulate incomprehensible sentences the issues that must be dealt with😅. Saying goodbye to friends, who are also moving on in their own directions. They are going West and I am going East. This part of the experience is easiest yet hardest in several ways. Easiest because you haven't yet jumped out of your airplane. Hardest because you're itching to get out.



What makes me happiest is that I have made an atypical decision. I am doing the not-so-standard thing. I am doing something that I know I will never have the opportunity to do again. If I want this opportunity ever, then I better grab it. So I did. 

You know those little postcards you see on Pinterest or those adventurous lines in poems that refer to taking chances and doing things that scare the sh*t out of you? Well, this is my postcard. This is my poem. 


I am on my way to unknown things.