Monday, March 17, 2014

Something to Think About

In a previous post, I had briefly mentioned the importance of not allowing others' behaviors to affect our conduct and emotions. 

I feel that it is really important to write a post about the topic of mirroring those with whom we spend our time with, because I see this behavior not only in others, but also in myself. 

Let me explain what I mean by "mirroring those with whom we spend our time with": many of us have somebody (lets call this person X) that we are not most fond of, but still tend to spend time with him or her. In my situation, I realized at one point that I began acting like and treating others in a similar way that X was acting and treating me at times. When I was near this person, I would tend to not be as nice to the other people around me (especially to those who I actually liked), in comparison to when I wasn't near her. 

I was frustrated when I noticed this about myself because I myself dislike and feel aggravated when others act differently because of somebody else. I notice sometimes that I can have a great time when I am with somebody, but that person's attitude towards me can change when they are with somebody else who isn't as friendly. 

What I learned at the time of my realization of my tendency to change my attitude because of this person, X, was that I should never allow somebody else's negative traits and rude demeanor to make me feel as if it is alright to act like they do. I should never feel intimidated or inclined to not be as nice to others just because this person is not as friendly with me (or others, in certain cases). 

If this person doesn't act like a friend all the time, then, instead of treating others half-heartedly in relationships, I should, on the other hand, be more sensitive and aware about treating others whole-heartedly. If I know how it feels to have somebody not treat me with complete respect, then I should be careful to treat others with complete respect. 

Basically, make sure that you stay true to yourself when making friends and dealing with different types of people. Don't spend your time with people who bring out the worst in you and make it seem like it is alright to not be as friendly as you would like others to be towards you. 

No comments: